USOE has different requirements for licensing depending on your situation. According to the EYE Brochure (Entry Years Enhancement), these are recommendations for licensing:
Suggested schedule for EYE Requirements (most new teachers):
To find out more information on each step, continue onto our Steps to Upgrade License page.
For the State quick guide and frequently asked questions, go to http://www.schools.utah.gov/CURR/educatoreffectiveness/EYE/Teachers.aspx
For Out of State teachers (with 3 or more years of experience):
- Hold a Level 1 Utah educator License and teach for at least one academic year.
- Waive Praxis PLT test and Professional portfolio by LEA due to out-of-state/country experience.
- Receive two professional evaluations in a Utah LEA with a satisfactory final evaluation.
- Complete any additional LEA requirements.
- Have a cleared background/fingerprint check within one calendar year; www.utah.gov/teachers.
- Receive a LEA approval for upgrade to Level 2.
- Achieve NCLB HQ status in at least one licensure area by passing a content praxis test, if licensed or endorsed in any NCLB subject area.
- Provide verification of out-of-state or foreign years of licensed teaching experience in a public, charter, or accredited private school.
- Complete CTE required coursework; contact CTE at 801-538-7662 for information.
- Complete the Ethics Review within one year of upgrade at https://secure.utah.gov/elr/eee/index.html
- Complete a 2-hour, LEA-sponsored Suicide Prevention course within license cycle.
If a Level 1 educator fails to complete all of the EYE requirements within the three-year period because of unusual or extenuating emergency circumstances, the LEA may request a one-time, one year extension of the level 1 license to provide additional time for the educator to complete the upgrade requirements; for the Level 1 extension form go to the following website at: http://www.schools.utah.gov/cert/License-Renewals/Renewal-Information/Level-1/Level1RenewalForm.aspx
Requests for a Level 1 extension may be submitted beginning in March of the expiration year, but prior to June 30th of the license expiration year.
For other USOE forms, visit their link http://www.schools.utah.gov/cert/Forms.aspx
If you have additional questions, please contact Human Resources at 801-567-8150.