Teaching can be a wonderfully rewarding occupation as change and growth are observed in students. However, teaching can exact a high price if teachers suffer anxiety, exhaustion, and even depression through the school year. Instead of struggling with the ability to maintain good mental health, new teachers need to incorporate strategies which help them feel the joy of the profession rather than suffer in silence.
Here a few tips to help maintain your mental health:
- Put it in perspective. Recognize the good aspects of life and retain hope for the future.
- Get time away. If you feel the stress building, take a break. Walk away from the situation or take some deep breaths.
- Engage in activities such as physical exercise, sports, or hobbies that can relieve stress and anxiety.
- Strengthen connections with family and friends who can provide emotional support.
- Talk it out. Sometimes the best stress-reducer is simply sharing your stress with someone close to you. The act of talking it out and getting support and empathy from someone else is often an excellent way of blowing off steam and reducing stress. Have a support system of trusted people.
- Cultivate allies at work. Just knowing you have one or more co-workers who are willing to assist you in times of stress will reduce your stress level. Just remember to reciprocate and help them when they are in need.
- Find humor in the situation. When you or the people around you start taking things too seriously, find a way to break through with laughter. Share a joke or funny story.
- Have realistic expectations for yourself and those around you.
- Realize nobody is perfect. We learn from overcoming obstacles.
- Maintain a positive attitude and learn to reward yourself for little accomplishments.
If you find yourself sinking into depression or you need help with mental health issues, JSD insurance in partnership with Blomquist Hale is your professional resource. Call them for confidential and professional help. It is free of charge for you and eligible dependents.
Bloomquist Hale Employee Assistance
||What They Can Help With:
|Salt Lake City: 801-262-9619
Other Locations 801-926-9619
or 24/7 Crisis Services
|Stress, Anxiety or Depression
Relationship & Family Problems
Grief or Loss
Personal & Emotional Changes
Senior Care, Planning & Support
Substance Abuse & Addictions
Financial or Legal Challenges
Located at River’s Edge School
319 West 11000 SouthSouth Jordan, UT 84095
The Jordan Family Education Center provides support services and classes for families and students in Jordan School District. These services are provided by the District’s school psychologists, counselors, and school psychology interns. The center offers classes and short-term counseling on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings. There are three-quarters packed full of interesting classes and support groups covering a variety of topics like parenting skills, dealing with adolescence, attention deficit, anger, anxiety, autism, blended families and much more.
For information about classes and counseling, call 801-565-7442. These services are available to families at no cost as a service of the District.
In addition to Jordan School District services, listed below are several other resources for families and caregivers in Utah.
Parents, guardians, and caregivers play a vital role in student success. Parents face similar issues from helping a beginning reader to applying for college financial aid. The resources listed here provide great ideas for building the home-school partnership.
If you have never used http://web.archive.org/web/20160910185152/https://www.khanacademy.org/in your classroom, it might be a good time to do so. If it has been a while since you have been there, it might be a good time to go back. Khan Academy is a wonderful resource that is constantly expanding to offer more and more help to children in a variety of subjects. While it started as simple tutorial math videos, it has evolved into a dynamic and interactive instructional support platform. They ways that the resource could be used are various and exciting. Potentially, it could be used to enhance and extend the learning for students beyond the walls of the classroom. They describe what they offer in this way.
"Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more. Our math missions guide learners from kindergarten to calculus using state-of-the-art, adaptive technology that identifies strengths and learning gaps. We've also partnered with institutions like NASA, The Museum of Modern Art, The California Academy of Sciences, and MIT to offer specialized content."
Perhaps most remarkable of all, it is free to use.